Morris Shield Champions
After a spirited and hard fought campaign the RAF Waddington Rugby team have been crowned the RAF Warrington Morris Shield Champions.
The Waddington Hornets produced a fantastic run of results to reach the final which included a titanic 40-20 derby win against Coningsby in the quarters, followed by a convincing 38-5 semi final triumph over Boulmer, earning a place in the final against the West London Barbarians.
Following a bruising closely contested first half which saw the Barbarians come out on top at the stomping ground of RAF Halton, the Hornets came out fighting in the second half producing a great 18-20 comeback to snatch victory from the Barbarians.
The Barbarians had looked on course to seal victory after capitalising on the Hornets errors but two tries from man of the match Colin Witham and a late try from Clint Simpson converted by Loz Philips sealed the win for the Waddington Hornets.
The rugby team will now look to pulling off a cross code double replicating success in the rugby league season which is upon us. And as always new faces are very welcome.
Meet the winning Team.
- Mr Martin Wallhead – General Engineering Flight
- Corporal Graham ‘Benny’ Hill – 14 Squadron
- Corporal Colin ‘Witty’ Witham – (was) 8 Squadron
- Flying Officer Andy Green – Operations
- Senior Aircraftsman Mark Gillam – Fire
- Flight Lieutenant Clint Simpson – Air Warfare Centre
- Master Aircrew Ian Woolley – Operations
- Chief Technician Greg Mayhew – 8 Squadron
- Corporal John Turner – 8 Squadron
- Senior Aircraftsman Tom White – 8 Force Protection Wing
- Senior Aircraftsman Martin Cooper – 8 Squadron
- Senior Aircraftsman Steve Parker – Fire
- Sergeant Stu Atkinson, (Army) – Air Warfare Centre
- Senior Aircraftsman ‘Eddie’ Irvine – 1 ACC, RAF Scampton
- Corporal ‘Loz’ Phillips – RAF Scampton, Physical Education Flight
- Senior Aircraftsman Adrian Beverley – Logistics Squadron
- Senior Aircraftsman Dave McInnon – 5 (AC) Squadron
- Sergeant Kieron Arnold – Air Warfare Centre
- Corporal Steve Potter – General Engineering Flight
- Corporal Simon Barker – General Engineering Flight
- Senior Aircraftsman Martin ‘Pip’ Bowen – General Engineering Flight
- Senior Aircraftsman Adam ‘Padre’ Graves – 8 Squadron
Coach – Chief Technician Martin Kenworthy – General Engineering Flight
Team Manager – Sergeant Steve Hargreaves – Fire